Monday, August 14, 2017

Accepting Truth from Non-Members: What Dad and South Park Have in Common

Dad was in the kitchen engaging in his evening ritual: a cocktail of Scotch and water. And as usual, he had some jazz standards playing to help him relax. I sat on the sofa enjoying the breeze blowing in through the open door from the beach across the street. Each summer that I came home from Brigham Young University, I grew to appreciate the perfect Southern California climate I’d taken for granted in high school.

The light from the setting sun painted the room with golden light. But, despite the beautiful evening, I sat in distress. Too bad I couldn’t have a cocktail to take the edge off. I mean, I was 21, and legally I could. But when I was 16, I’d decided to become active in the Mormon church. So instead of joining my dad for a drink, which I’m sure he would have heartily welcomed, I sat ready to go meet my date, unable to bring myself to leave.

That summer, like whenever we were in the same vicinity, I picked up my relationship with my on-again, off-again non-Mormon boyfriend. Yet, as the years went by, it became harder to brush aside our major difference: religion. I’d often reel over how we could get past the religion piece, figuring there must be a solution I just wasn’t seeing, a way for me to remain faithful and still maintain the relationship.

In an uncharacteristic move, I opened up. “I don’t know what to do, Dad.”

Perceptively, he knew what I was referring to without me explicitly saying. He took a sip of his drink and shifted his eyes towards mine with a knowing glance. “Stick with your own kind,” he said.

I laughed, amazed that he knew what I was referring to and at his very politically incorrect way of giving advice. Yet, his words would be the nudge I needed to help me consider moving on from a relationship that didn’t feel right.

At that time, like a self-righteous 21-year-old, I figured there wasn’t much my dad could say that would impact me. After all, I was Mormon and he wasn’t. But when he spoke that phrase, I recognized that his fatherly advice was wise and inspired, even if partially by J&B.

This instance was just one of many making up the long, slow tutorial from God that I am no more spiritually evolved nor wise than my non-member friends and family. There are many important lessons I have learned from having relationships with people who believe differently than I do.

My dad is a jokester. I used to get extremely offended by the wise cracks he’d often make about my religion. When I was in my early twenties it would get me really worked up. “Why doesn’t he know that there are certain things you don’t joke about?” I ‘d think.  “To put down my religion is to put me down.”

But in my late twenties, I had an epiphany. I realized that these jokes weren’t about me. Joking was his way of reaching out, for better or for worse. I could choose to take it personally, or I could let it roll off my shoulders and love him anyway. When I realized his jokes were more about him than about me, everything changed. I somehow didn’t take offense anymore. Even though his jokes continued, they miraculously didn’t bother me. He is loving and generous; it would be foolish to allow something like the way he jokes to ruin our relationship.

I have been blessed since I made the decision to love, instead of to be offended. We’ve grown close and, almost two years ago, my family even moved 10 minutes away from him. He has been such a blessing and example in my life. My dad is a hard worker. With the Lion’s Club he serves selflessly in the community. He is a successful entrepreneur but will paint sidewalks in the ghetto and scrub down greasy grills for community events. He goes to Mexico to donate glasses and fixes up campgrounds for the blind and sight impaired.  I could have easily missed learning from him and enjoying all the love he gives to me and my family if I’d chosen to be offended and to consider myself more righteous than him.

My older sister is talented and vivacious—a free spirit. To be with Terra is to be expanding your frame of reference. When I decided to be Mormon at 16, she remained decidedly not Mormon.  And throughout the years, she’s challenged me. She cleverly uses Mormon teachings to get me to see things her way. She says things like, “If you believe so much in being Christlike, then why won’t you help me with this project.”  Or, “If you believe so much in family, why won’t you travel (from your home in Mexico City even though you have four kids) for this sibling’s weekend I planned.” She’s always had a way of making me think about whether I’m living what I profess to believe.  More than any of that, she is a constant learner. Whether its massage, aromatherapy, yoga, or gut health, she gets certified or becomes an expert in whatever she’s interested in. When I’m around her she makes me believe I am grand and that I should be sharing my gifts with the world. Since she is always creating, she gets me creating and reminds me how good it feels to create and share it. At first, I’d get all bent out of shape when she’d do things like question women’s roles in the church or show me the memorable South Park episode about the Book of Mormon. (It’s really quite accurate, just a little irreverent.) But over time, her critiques of the church led me to research and find out more deeply why I believe and, also, to be able to admit there are aspects of church culture that bother me. In short, she has helped to deepen my faith.

So much of my self-righteous thinking has been challenged by my non-member family and friends. I believe the truth necessary for salvation is contained within the Gospel of Jesus Christ. However, that does not mean we can claim to live that truth better than everyone else. I’ve seen so many non-members who live and understand aspects of the Gospel far better than I ever have. While they may not know they are living in accordance with Gospel truths, to the extent they are, it blesses their lives and the lives of the people around them.

The Book of Mormon prophet Jacob records a similar situation. He explains to his people that among them there are non-believers that are keeping certain commandments more fully than the believers. He tells them, “because of this observance, in keeping the commandment[s],…the Lord will be merciful into them; and one day they shall become a blessed people."

God knows all and loves all. He loves the non-Members of our family just as much as he loves us. In fact, it is my belief that we need the foil that only those of differing beliefs can provide for our faith to mature. While we do have the Gospel of Jesus Christ, we are light years away from understanding all that it’s truths encompass or how to live those truths completely. God provides us with family, friends and neighbors of other faiths to help us get closer to understanding the truth about who we really are and how much he loves and cares personally for all of his children.



What lessons have you learned from your relationships with people outside of your faith tradition/worldview?

No comments:

Post a Comment